Alabama Mandatory Liability Insurance
If the vehicle was insured on the insurance verification date, please visit your local licensing office or visitwww.besuretoinsureal.com to provide proof of insurance for the verification date. If proof of insurance was provided and could not be confirmed, please have your insurer provide a statement on company letterhead indicating that the vehicle was insured on the verification date. The statement can be provided to your local licensing office or uploaded to www.besuretoinsureal.com
If the vehicle was not insured on the insurance verification date, please visit your local licensing office to pay the required reinstatement fee ($200 for the first violation; $400 for the second and any subsequent violations) and provide proof of current Alabama insurance.
If the vehicle was not insured on the insurance verification date due to the vehicle being sold, stored, or otherwise unused (i.e. exempt), the following conditions must be met:
- The license plate must be surrendered to the local licensing office within thirty (30) calendar days from the date the MLI verification notice was sent to the registrant.
- The exemption has not been claimed previously during the current registration period for the vehicle.
- The vehicle was not involved in an accident during the lapse in coverage.4. The registrant or driver of the vehicle was not issued a citation during the lapse in coverage.
- 1st violation - up to $500 fine
- 2nd or subsequent violations - up to $1000 fine and/or a 6-month driver license suspension
- 1st violation - $200 reinstatement fee
- 2nd or subsequent violations - $400 reinstatement fee